Bulk bags are a highly versatile and durable packaging solution, making them a popular choice in many industries. They are made from woven tapes of polypropylene, creating a strong, durable and flexible fabric that is capable of holding large quantities of product.
Custom Bulk Bags is a leading manufacturer and supplier of bulk bags in South Africa. We produce up to 3.5 million bulk bags per annum, all of which have a minimum safety factor rating of 5:1. Our products can safely hold between 500kg and two tonnes of material per bag, depending on your specifications.
Before you order your bulk bags, there are three key considerations for any company in any sector. A material science engineer (MSE) will know what these are, but many companies do not have an MSE in their employee repertoire, so it’s important to think about them before using bulk bags.
Three important factors to consider before buying bulk bags
Regardless of your industry and specific needs, the following three considerations are valid for all companies that might use bulk bags to store and transport their products:
- You need to know exactly how much weight your bulk bags need to hold without overloading or stressing the fabric. You’ll need to calculate the volume and weight of the materials that you want to store or move.
- You need to consider the design changes and optional extras available that will improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your bulk bags. This will help to minimise handling issues, maximise safety and improve efficiency.
- Think about how your industry uses bulk bags and how this may affect the longevity and durability of the packaging products. Look at your own on-site equipment and machinery and see whether they are compatible with bulk bags.
Once you’ve considered these three key factors and determined that bulk bags still offer the most affordable and effective packaging solutions, you can start looking for a reputable manufacturer and supplier.
Custom Bulk Bags prides itself on being able to help our customers through the specification, ordering and delivery journey. We have expert consultants on hand to walk you through the process, giving you advice on design specs and necessary changes to get the most out of your bulk bags.
If you’re unsure of the answers to any of the above considerations, speak to one of our consultants for expert advice and insights. They will be able to help you come to the right choice for your packaging needs.
Why you industry matters for longevity of bulk bags
The third consideration may be the most puzzling for you. Every industry has a unique effect on the durability and longevity of bulk bags because these products are handled and used in different ways. Here are some examples to illustrate:
- Mining and construction – Materials in these industries tend to be rugged and harsh. Sand, gravel, rubble, ore, coal and minerals can scratch the fabric of bulk bags and weaken the tapes over time. In addition, the friction of constant movement around mines, processing plants and construction sites means that bulk bags may have a shorter shelf life than with other industries.
- Chemical industry – Bulk bags are often used for dry, nonreactive powders and pharmaceuticals. However, in some cases, harsh chemicals need to be stored or moved in bulk bags. Polypropylene is a largely inert polymer, but some substances can affect the fabric. In these instances, foil inner liners or additional coatings may need to be ordered.
- Agriculture – Bulk bags are ideal for storing grains and other agricultural products or byproducts. However, moisture poses the biggest threat to these products. We recommend using plastic inner liners to protect your grains, seeds, sugar and other produce from mould and moisture. We also recommend coating your bulk bags with a UV spray to protect them from the sun’s rays.
In the absence of a material science engineer, business owners will need to consider how their products and industries may determine which bulk bags to order. Our expert consultants can help you decide which type of bag works best for your specific needs. For more information about our bulk bags or to get advice on the ideal design specifications, please contact us today.
Custom Bulk Bags is a leading South African manufacturer of woven polypropylene bags for various industries, such as mining, chemicals and food. We are able to produce over 3.5-million bulk bags per year, keeping our customers in stock at all times. Our bags adhere to the highest levels of quality as a result of our stringent in-house testing and quality control programmes.
Custom Bulk Bags holds ISO 9001 certification and we currently have a number of UN-certified designs. We are a Level 2 B-BBEE manufacturer and supplier and fall under the ownership structure of Deneb Investments Limited. For more information on our products, contact email@example.com. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram for our latest news and industry insights.