Whether you work in agriculture, mining or construction, you’re going to need well-made bulk bags. The packaging products make hauling and storing bulk loads of material easier and more efficient. They are also an eco-friendly solution due to their reusability and recyclability. A quality bulk bag has numerous features that you can look for.
Custom Bulk Bags manufactures high-quality flexible intermediate bulk containers (FIBCs) in South Africa. We supply a range of industries with affordable products that are proven to be durable, strong and safe. Our bulk bags have a minimum 5:1 safety factor and undergo rigorous quality testing.
Our wide product range and customisation give clients more options to suit their needs. We offer bulk bags of various capacities with many options, including inner liners, attachments, UV protection, splash proofing and printing. This ensures that you can get the most out of your bulk bags and that they provide effective solutions for your particular circumstances.
We want to equip you with the right information to make your purchasing decision easier. So, what should you look for in a quality bulk bag? The first step is to find a local supplier that can meet your needs at an affordable price and timeous deadline. Here are some other things to consider.
Features of a high-quality bulk bag
There are five essential features that make a bulk bag superior and provide better value for money:
1. Durability – Bulk bags undergo a lot of wear and tear, so they need to be extremely durable in order to withstand rough handling. Some FIBCs are used to hold jagged products, such as rocks and building rubble. The polypropylene fabric needs to be strong enough to protect the materials within and prevent them from making any holes.
2. Strength – This goes hand-in-hand with durability. The strength of the weave of the fabric must be strong enough to take the heavy loads. Custom Bulk Bags can hold at least five times their intended load due to the quality of our fabric and handles. The bags need to retain their integrity when being lifted by machinery.
3. Easy to move – Since bulk bags are ideal for transportation of large quantities of material, they need to be easy to move. We offer various loops and handles to make it easier to lift and shift out bulk bags. Find a FIBC manufacturer that offers products that are compatible with your existing machinery.
4. UV protection – Many companies leave their bulk bags in the sun, whether it’s at a construction site, on an open mine or in the field. Sunlight degrades plastic over time, so your bulk bags will need to have a UV coating to protect against this degradation. While dark-coloured bulk bags fare better in sunlight, even white fabric can be made more durable with a UV coating. At Custom Bulk Bags, UV protection is a component of the extrusion mix, so all of our products have this feature ingrained.
5. Matching specs – The final sign of a high-quality bulk bag is in its specs. If you place an order for 100 bulk bags, you’d expect every single one of them to be the same. They obviously need to match your specifications but they also need to function exactly how you need. Make sure that you choose a manufacturer that can meet your bulk order requirements with precision for every single product.
What to avoid in a bulk bag
Now that we’ve highlighted the things that you need to consider, here are some qualities of bulk bags that are undesirable. These red flags should also be considered before buying bulk bags. Check the quality of the polypropylene tapes and the way in which the fabric is woven. Any gaps or misaligned tapes in the weave could be a sign of poor manufacturing.
Similarly, always inspect the sewing and the attachment of the handles to the fabric. These seams need to be strong and clean, so look for any loose threads. The first point of failure on a badly made bulk bag will be the attachment of the handles to the fabric. Lastly, check your consignment; if they do not meet your specs or brief, don’t be afraid to send them back to the manufacturer.
The wrong specs may put your employees in danger when working with loaded bags that are inadequate for the job. In addition, your machinery could be damaged if a bulk bag fails under stress. For more information about Custom Bulk Bags or to request a quote for your specifications, please contact us today.
Custom Bulk Bags is a leading South African manufacturer of woven polypropylene bags for various industries, such as mining, chemicals and food. We are able to produce over 3.5-million bulk bags per year, keeping our customers in-stock at all times. Our bags adhere to the highest levels of quality as a result of our stringent in-house testing and quality control programmes.
Custom Bulk Bags holds ISO 9001 certification and we currently have a number of UN-certified designs. We are a Level 3 B-BBEE manufacturer and supplier and fall under the ownership structure of Deneb Investments Limited. For more information on our products, contact email@example.com. Follow us on Facebook for our latest news and industry insights.